1. Decreased blood pressure.
2. Increased urine output.
3. Decreased pulse rate.
4. Increased respiratory rate.
Strategy: Determine how each answer choice relates to hypothyroidism.
(1) characteristic of hypothyroidism, would indicate that medication is not working
(2) correct—medication increases metabolic processes of body, including glomerular filtration, edema will decrease as water is excreted
(3) characteristic of hypothyroidism, would indicate that medication is not working
(4) respiratory rate may or may not be affected by medication
1026. A 24-year-old woman who is 30 weeks pregnant is seen in the outpatient clinic for a routine visit. The nurse would be MOST concerned if the client made which of the following statements?
1. “During the day I seem to get hot flashes and chills.”
2. “I am having some trouble with constipation and hemorrhoids.”
3. “At the end of the day I have leg cramps.”
4. “When I put my hand on my abdomen, I can feel it tense and relax.”
Strategy: “MOST concerned” indicates a complication.
(1) correct—should be reported to the physician
(2) common due to pressure of growing fetus
(3) common due to compression of nerves supplying lower extremities or reduced calcium levels, should take oral calcium supplements if ordered, stretch until spasm is relieved
(4) Braxton-Hicks contractions common, should rest and change position
1027. The nurse prepares a 67-year-old man for an intravenous pyelogram (IVP). Which of the following information is MOST important for the nurse to obtain before the procedure?
1. The date of the client’s last EKG.
2. The time of the client’s last meal.
3. A list of the client’s allergies.
4. A list of the medications the client takes at home.
Strategy: All answers are assessments. Determine why you would make the assessment and how it relates to the situation.
(1) electrical activity of heart, not most important
(2) should be NPO for 6–8 h, not most important
(3) correct—involves injection of radiopaque dye, used to identify lesions and assess function, allergy to iodine is life-threatening
(4) not most important